- File > Export > Rapid Prototyping
- Output type : Binary
- Triangle & Adjacency Tolerance: 0.015 mm
- Set Auto normal Gen to ON
- Set Normal Display to ON
- Set Triangle Display to ON
- File Header Information: Press OK
- In case a error messages "Negative coordinates found" appears, it can be ignored
UGS NX - version 4 and later
NX software from Siemens PLM (formerly USG), supports STL output at the core level, enabling you to save not only entire parts as STL files, but also selected surfaces of a part.
This gives you great flexibility when preparing objects for 3-D printing. In addition, assembly output enables you to save several components as a single unit while maintaining each component as a separate volume (shell).
Phase 1: Saving a model design in STL format
- From the File menu, select Export > STL… The Rapid Prototyping dialog box opens.
- Set Output Type to Binary. Binary STL files are much smaller than STL files saved in ASCII format.
- Adjust the Triangle Tol setting to an appropriate value for your model. This is the maximum distanceallowed between the surface of the original design and the tessellated surface of the STL triangle, and affects the smoothness of the model surface.
- Adjust the Adjacency Tol setting. This determines if two adjacent surfaces “attach”. If the distance between the two surfaces is less than this setting, they are considered attached. This setting must be less than the printing resolution. For example, when printing models at a resolution of 30 micrometers (microns), the setting must be no more than 0.03.
- Click OK.
- In the Export Rapid Prototyping dialog box, enter file name and click OK.
Phase 2: Opening model files in Objet Studio Software
To place an object on the build tray:
- Open the Insert dialog box. From the Object menu, select Insert or On the toolbar, click the Insert Model icon or Right – click on the build tray, and select Insert. The Insert dialog box appears.
- Select the desired file, and make sure that it appears in the File name field. If the Preview check box is selected, the object is displayed in the dialog box.
- Click Open. Objet Studio places the object on the build tray, and in the list in the hierarchy pane.
You can place additional objects on the build tray by repeating this procedure.
Phase 3: Printing the model
When the build tray (in Objet Studio) is ready to be printed, you send it to Job Manager, where it is placed in the print queue. From the File menu, select Build Tray. Click the Build Tray icon.
The Objet printer builds the model.